Refrigerated shipping containers, or reefers, are a quick and affordable way to expand or create cold storage in Cape Town. Reefers are ideal for outdoor use and, provided there’s sufficient ventilation, can be used indoors too – for example, in a warehouse or factory space.
What can a refrigerated container be used for?
A refrigerated container is designed to keep goods cool or frozen, at a stable temperature. A single unit can also be partitioned, with areas for chilled and frozen goods in the same container.
Refrigerated containers have uses across a range of industries. Here are just a few:
- permanent cold storage for foodstuffs or other temperature-sensitive goods on your premises
- temporary cold storage for events and functions
- cold storage for retail purposes
- post-harvest cold storage for farmers and wine makers
- seasonal storage, to boost existing cold storage capacity.
What are the benefits of buying or renting a refrigerated container?
With Big Box Containers, you can choose to buy a reefer to meet long-term cold storage needs.
Alternatively, you can rent a reefer in Cape Town – making it easy to get cold storage just for a period when you need it and without having to make a heavy, upfront capital investment.
Some of the benefits of our Cape Town refrigerated containers are that they’re:
- affordable: a reefer is an affordable alternative to building a “brick and mortar” cold storage facility
- durable: our marine-grade reefers are weather-resistant and tamper-proof
- convenient: we’ll deliver a reefer directly to your premises
- portable: a reefer can easily be moved to a new location if your business moves
- instant: unlike building a cold store, a reefer provides instant cold storage
- expandable: as your cold storage needs change, you can easily add more reefers.
Big Box refrigerated container specifications
Our durable refrigerated containers are lined with stainless steel and have T-Bar flooring for better cold air distribution. This also makes them easy to clean.
Our refrigerated containers are available in lengths of either 6 or 12 metres. Both sizes support cold storage temperatures ranging from -20° C to 10° C.
|Cape Town refrigerated containers: specifications|
|6-metre reefer||12-metre reefer|
|External length||6.05 m||12.192 m|
|External width||2.44 m||2.44 m|
|External height||2.59 m||2.89 m|
|Internal length||5.35 m||11.58 m|
|Internal width||2.26 m||2.26 m|
|Internal height||2.26 m||2.47 m|
|Cubic capacity||28 m3||65.5 m3|
Renting a refrigerated container in Cape Town
Big Box Containers is a leading supplier of new and used shipping containers in South Africa. We offer high-quality reefers for rent in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria, as well as new and refurbished units for sale.
Our Cape Town branch is located in Maitland, just a few minutes from the CBD. Contact us online or give us a call on 0861 447 474 for a quotation or to find out more about our refrigerated containers.